Oven roasted vegetable crisps
- Total Time
Root vegetable crisps are a gourmet choice with a high price tag, but here you will discover how to create a delicious home-made version that is low in SmartPoints values.
Parsnip(s), raw1 medium, peeled
Carrots, raw1 medium, peeled
Sweet potato(es), raw120 g, peeled
Beetroot1 whole, small, peeled
Olive Oil3 teaspoons
Ground Cumin¼ teaspoons, level
Black pepper1 pinch
- Using a mandoline, a food processor slicing blade, a swivel peeler or even a kitchen knife and a steady hand, cut each vegetable into thin slices, keeping the batches separate.
- In turn, very lightly sprinkle each batch of vegetables with salt and spread them out in a single layer on absorbent kitchen paper (the beetroot will need a double thickness). Place more kitchen paper on top and leave to stand for 15 minutes, pressing down to absorb any excess liquid from the vegetables. This makes sure that they will crisp up properly in the oven. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180˚C/ fan oven 160˚C.
- Combine the parsnip, carrot and sweet potato slices in a bowl with 2 teaspoons of the olive oil. Spread them out in a single layer on a large baking tray. Repeat with the beetroot and remaining teaspoon of olive oil, spreading out on another large baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 8–10 minutes until the vegetables are looking dry and starting to curl and colour at the edges. Remove from the oven and leave to cool and crisp up on the trays.
- Tip all the crisps into a bowl and sprinkle with the ground cumin and a grinding of black pepper.