Mixed berry & hazelnut sponge roll
Egg, whole, raw
3 medium, raw, separated
Gluten Free Plain White Flour
1 teaspoons, level
Unsweetened Almond Drink
15 ml, (or any other milk)
Low Fat Ice Cream
Frozen Mixed Berries
400 g, defrosted slightly
1½ teaspoons, level, plus extra for dusting
Lemon Juice, Fresh
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas mark 4. Line a 33cm x 23cm baking tin with baking paper.
- Using an electric whisk, beat the egg yolks with 80g of the caster sugar for 3-4 minutes, until pale and thickened. Whisk in the hazelnuts, flour and baking powder. Stir in the milk. In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form, then gently fold them into the cake mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the sponge springs back when touched gently. Remove from the oven and cool in the tin. Let the ice cream soften out of the freezer for 5-10 minutes. Dust a sheet of baking paper with the reserved caster sugar and turn the sponge onto it.
- Whizz 100g of the fruit with the icing sugar and lemon juice to make a coulis. Add a little water if it is too thick.
- Peel the lining paper from the sponge and spread the ice cream over, leaving a 2cm border. Scatter 150g of the summer fruits over, then carefully roll the sponge. Serve with the coulis, the remaining berries and a dusting of icing sugar.