Lemon curd sponge
Calorie controlled cooking spray
Egg, whole, raw
3 medium, raw
1 zest(s) of 1, grated
Plain White Flour
1 teaspoons, level
25 g, a few drops of pink food colouring
Lemon Juice, Fresh
- Preheat oven to 180°C, 160°C, gas mark 4.
- Mist a 20cm round cake tin with cooking spray and line the base with baking paper. Set aside.
- Place the eggs and sugar in a bowl. Beat with an electric whisk until doubled in volume. Fold int he lemon zest with a rubber spatula, then sift in the flour and baking powder. Fold to combine.
- Scrape into the cake tin, level the top and bake for 30 mins or until risen and springy to the touch. Cool in the tin for 15 mins, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Peel the baking paper from the sponge. Using a serated knife, slice the cake in half horizontally. Place one sponge on a serving plate and spread with lemon curs. Top with the second sponge.
- Add the lemon juice to the icing sugar to make a smooth icing. Stir in a few drops of food colouring to make a pastel icing. Drizzle over the cake and dot with wafer flowers. Allow to set, then serve in 8 slices