1 hr 2 min
These tasty little bars have been lightened up and they'll go down a treat with afternoon tea, or perfect to pack up for a day out.
Plain White Flour
145 g, plain
Light Brown Sugar
120 g, cold, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
Egg, whole, raw
4 medium, raw
½ teaspoon(s), level
Lemon Juice, Fresh
2 teaspoon(s), zest
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 4/180°C/350°F.
- To make crust, mix flour and light brown sugar using a food processor until fully incorporated.
- Toss butter into flour mixture and pulse to combine using short bursts of power until butter is cut into tiny pea-sized pieces and dough appears lumpy. Sprinkle crust mixture onto an ungreased 13 X 9 X 2-inch baking pan as evenly as possible; press down with a spatula to create a packed surface. Place crust in middle of oven and bake until golden, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make lemon topping, beat eggs in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until well blended. Add vanilla extract and 3/4 of icing sugar; mix well. Add lemon juice and remaining icing sugar; mix until icing sugar is completely dissolved and then add zest.
- As soon as crust us finished, remove from oven and reduce oven temperature to Gas Mark 2/150°C/300°F. Immediately pour lemon mixture over hot crust. Bake completely; cool, and cut into 24 bars.
The crust must be HOT when you pour on the lemon mixture. You’ll need approximately three lemons to yield the amount of juice and zest in this recipe. You can increase the lemon flavour of these bars by adding more zest or eliminate the zest altogether for a less tart taste. You can also change the flavour completely by subbing fresh lime juice and zest for the lemon.