Lemon angel cakes with fruit
Plain White Flour
Egg white, raw
Cream of Tartar
1 zest(s) of 1
½ teaspoon(s), level
5 teaspoon(s), heaped, mixed with 1 tsp water
Fresh Fruit Salad (no added sugar)
200 g, mixed fruit such as strawberries, nectarines and cherries, larger fruits sliced
Sainsbury's Apricot Jam
1 tablespoon(s), glaze, mixed with 1 tsp boiling water, kept warm
- Preheat the oven to 1800C, fan 1600C, gas mark 4. Line a muffin tin with 6 paper cases.
- Sift the flour and icing sugar into a large bowl. Put the egg whites in a separate bowl and beat with an electric whisk for 2 minutes. Add the cream of tartar, lemon zest and vanilla essence and continue beating until soft peaks form. In two batches, whisk in the caster sugar.
- Spoon into the prepared tin and smooth over the top. Bake for 30 minutes, until golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Sift a third of the flour mixture over the meringue mixture and fold in gently until combined. Continue with the remaining flour mixture, folding as gently as possible to keep the air in the mixture.
- To decorate, top with the liquid icing, a dollop of the lemon curd and the mixed fruit. Brush with the warm apricot glaze.