Veggie hash with poached eggs
- Total Time
Potato(es), Raw600 g, larger ones halved
Courgette2 medium, halved lengthways, then sliced on the diagonal
Yellow Pepper1 medium, deseeded and sliced into thin wedges
Calorie controlled cooking spray6 spray(s)
Thyme, Fresh1 teaspoons, chopped, plus extra leaves to garnish
Onion(s)1 large, red, sliced into thin wedges
Cherry Tomatoes200 g, halved
Egg, whole, raw4 large, raw
Basil, fresh1 tablespoons, finely chopped, plus extra leaves to garnish
Parsley, fresh1 tablespoons, finely chopped
Black pepper1 pinch, freshly ground
- Cook the potatoes in a pan of boiling water for 10 minutes until just tender. Drain and leave to dry.
- In a large bowl, combine the courgettes and pepper, mist with cooking spray and toss together with the thyme.
- Mist a large nonstick pan with cooking spray, then cook the onion until soft, about 6-8 minutes, over a medium-low heat. Add the potatoes, courgettes and pepper and season to taste. Add a splash of water, lower the heat, and cover; cook for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Remove the lid, increase the heat to high and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes until the veg starts to char. Transfer to a bowl and put the tomatoes in the pan. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute until softened. Return all the veg to the pan and set aside.
- Bring a large, wide pan of water to a simmer and add the vinegar. Crack 1 egg into a small cup and then carefully pour into the pan in one go. Repeat with the remaining eggs. Cook for 3 minutes until the whites are firm and the yolks soft. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a pan of simmering water and poach for about 3 minutes until the whites are just set and the yolks are still soft. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on a plate lined with kitchen paper. Toss the herbs through the veg, then serve topped with the eggs, the extra thyme and basil and freshly ground black pepper.