Gluten-free blue cheese gnocchi bake
Homemade pasta might seem intimidating, but this gluten-free gnocchi is a cinch to make – especially as we’ve broken it down to show you how! It’s a great project for long weekends.
400 g, King Edward, scrubbed
Egg yolk, raw
Gluten Free Rice Flour
400 g, tenderstem
Medium fat soft cheese
50 g, crumbled
Vegetarian Parmesan Style Hard Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas mark 6. Cook the potatoes in a large pan of boiling salted water for 25-30 minutes, or until tender. Drain and allow to cool. Peel the potatoes then transfer to a large bowl and mash until smooth. Stir the egg yolk and salt into the mash. Add half the rice flour and knead to combine, then repeat with the remaining rice flour until a soft dough forms.
- Lightly dust the work surface with rice flour. Halve the gnocchi dough, then roll each piece into a long sausage shape, about 2cm in diameter and 36cm long. Cut each length into 2cm-thick pieces – you should have 36 gnocchi. Using lightly floured hands, gently roll the pieces into small balls, then transfer to a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Using your thumb, roll each ball over the back of a floured fork to create a gnocchi shape, then return to the baking tray. In batches, cook the gnocchi in a large pan of boiling water for 2-3 minutes, or until they fl oat to the surface. Transfer to a plate using a slotted spoon.
- Cook the broccoli in a pan of boiling water for 5 minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile, combine the soft cheese, milk and Stilton; season.
- Drain the broccoli and transfer to a medium baking dish. Scatter over the gnocchi, then pour over the cheese mixture. Toss, then scatter over the hard cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes, until bubbling and golden.
Don’t overwork the delicate gnocchi dough – it could become tough and rubbery.