Garlic turkey with butternut, sultana & pistachio stuffing
1 small, finely chopped
Calorie controlled cooking spray
Freshly squeezed orange juice
3 tablespoons, level
3 sprig(s), leaves only
Vegetable stock cube(s)
1 cube(s), 250ml hot water
Roast Turkey, Skinless
Low Fat Spread
¼ medium, sliced
- To make the stuffing, mist a large pan with cooking spray then cook the onion, celery and garlic over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until just golden.
- Add the butternut squash, sultanas and orange juice, then reduce the heat to low. Cook, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a bowl and add the breadcrumbs, pistachios and herbs. Stir in the stock then set aside to cool completely.
- Once the stuffing has cooled, start to prepare the turkey. Preheat the oven to its highest setting. Pat the turkey, inside and out, with kitchen paper then put it on a board with the neck facing towards you. Gently peel back the loose skin and work your fingers underneath, freeing it from the breast meat. Carefully tuck the sage, thyme and orange slices into the space between the skin and breast meat, then fold the flap of loose skin underneath the bird to enclose.
- Stuff the turkey cavity with the cooled butternut squash mixture, until it’s around ¾ full – you should be able to still fit part of your hand into the cavity along with the stuffing.
- Weigh the stuffed turkey to calculate the cooking time – it will require 20 minutes per 500g. Put the turkey in a large roasting tin. Combine the low-fat spread and crushed garlic in a small bowl, then rub the mixture all over the bird, seasoning well. Loosely cover with kitchen foil and put in the pre-heated oven. Immediately lower the temperature to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas mark 4, and roast for the calculated time, basting the turkey with its juices every hour. When the juices from the thigh meat run clear when pierced with a knife or skewer, remove the kitchen foil and cook for a further 40 minutes to brown the skin.
- Cover a large board with kitchen foil. Lift the turkey from the roasting tin and transfer to the board, cover with more foil and rest for 1 hour 30 minutes. Carve the turkey and serve 120g per person.