Fruit compote with yogurt meringue & ginger crumbs
2 medium, peeled, cored and chopped into small cubes
1 medium, peeled, cored and chopped into small pieces
Egg white(s), raw
0% fat natural Greek yogurt
½ zest(s) of 1
Ginger Nut Biscuits
2 biscuit(s), crushed
- Put 35g of the sugar in a pan with the cinnamon sticks and 75ml water. Heat gently, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Bring to a simmer and add the cubed apple and pear.
- Cover the fruit and cinnamon and continue to simmer for around 10 minutes, or until the fruit is tender. Add the blackberries and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes, or until the blackberries have broken down and the liquid is syrupy. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Put the remaining sugar and the egg white in a small heatproof bowl and set over a pan of simmering water, making sure the base of the bowl doesn’t touch the water.
- Whisk over the heat with a hand-held electric whisk until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is fluffy, glossy and hot to the touch. It’s important you don’t rush this step as the egg white mixture needs to cook completely*. Remove the bowl from the pan and continue whisking until cold – this will take about 5-7 minutes. Fold through the yogurt and the lemon zest.
- Divide the cooled fruit compote between four ramekins or serving glasses (discarding the cinnamon sticks). Spoon the meringue over the compote and chill in the fridge for 2 hours, or until set. Serve sprinkled with the crushed ginger biscuits.