Fillet steak with sweet & sour Vietnamese marinade
Beef fillet steak, lean, raw
680 g, 4x170g steaks, cut into chunks
8 leaf/leaves, small, romaine leaves, to serve
Chilli, Green or Red
3 individual, deseeded and finely sliced
4 medium, trimmed and sliced, to garnish
Lemon Grass Stems
2 stem, trimmed and outer leaves removed
Lime Juice, Fresh
90 ml, juice of 3 limes
Light Brown Sugar
Thai Fish Sauce
1 tablespoons, chopped
- Soak 8 short bamboo skewers in cold water for 30 minutes to prevent burning.
- Make the marinade: finely chop the lemongrass and crush to a paste using a pestle and mortar. Mix with the remaining marinade ingredients in a bowl. Add the steak and stir to coat. Cover and marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour or preferably overnight.
- Bring the steak to room temperature then thread onto the skewers, reserving the marinade.
- Season the kebabs and cook on a hot barbecue or griddle pan for 6-8 minutes, turning frequently and brushing with the reserved marinade. Remove from the heat and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve the skewers on the lettuce leaves, garnished with the chilli and spring onions.