Chocolate & orange polenta cake
Low Fat Spread
1½ teaspoons, level
Bicarbonate of Soda
½ teaspoons, level
65 g, roasted , 60g whizzed, 5g chopped
Egg, whole, raw
3 medium, raw, beaten
2 teaspoons, level
½ zest(s) of 1
Freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tablespoons, level
50 g, melted
50 g, soaked in 50ml boiling water
Smooth Almond Butter
20 ml, melted
1 teaspoons, level
25 g, melted
1 zest(s) of 1
- Grease and line a deep 20cm cake tin.
- Put the orange in a pan of water, bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes, adding the dates for the last 5 minutes. Drain, halve the orange, discard any pips and whizz in a food processor with the dates and low-fat spread, until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas mark 4. Pour the orange and date mixture into a large bowl and mix in the polenta, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, hazelnuts, cocoa, eggs, Canderel, vanilla extract, orange zest and juice, and dark chocolate. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Remove and let cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, make the topping. Put the dates and soaking liquid in a food processor with the almond butter, coconut oil, vanilla, cocoa and chocolate. Whizz on low until combined, then whizz on high until smooth.
- Spread the topping over the cooled cake, then sprinkle over the remaining hazelnuts and the orange zest.