- Total Time
This delicate bake has all the moist sweetness of the traditional version, but with around a third of the SmartPoints. And it's gluten free!
Low Fat Spread75 g, plus extra for greasing
Doves Farm Gluten & Wheat Free White Self-Raising Flour Blend200 g
Baking powder1 ½ teaspoons, level, gluten free
Ground Cinnamon1 teaspoons, level
Cardamom Pods3 g, seeds, ground
Orange(s)½ zest(s) of 1, plus extra to decorate, and 1 tsp of the juice
Light Brown Sugar80 g
Egg, whole, raw2 medium, raw, lightly beaten
Carrots, raw175 g, grated
Apple(s)50 g, such as Cox, grated
Low Fat Soft Cheese125 g
Icing Sugar3 teaspoons, level, sifted
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c/160c fan/gas 4. Grease and line a 2.5lb loaf tin.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together. Add the cinnamon, cardamom and zest of ½ an orange and stir in.
- Using a stand mixer or a handheld electric hand whisk, beat together the butter and sugar, scraping down the side of the bowl occasionally, until combined, light and creamy. It will look as if the mixture curdles at first but keep going for a minimum of 5 mins. Gradually add the egg, beating well after each addition.
- Add the flour mixture and mix briefly until just combined. Fold in the carrots and apple so it’s evenly distributed. Pour into the loaf tin, transfer to the oven, and bake for 1hr and 10 mins until browned on top and when a skewer is inserted, comes out with just a few wet crumbs. Place the loaf tin on a wire rack and leave until completely cooled.
- Once the cake is cool, start on the frosting. Beat the cream cheese and icing sugar together with the tsp of orange juice. Spread over the top of the cake and sprinkle over the ½ tsp orange zest. Serve.