Butternut squash carbonara
Our take on an Italian classic pairs zero-hero butternut squash and earthy sage to delicious effect
Calorie controlled cooking spray
1 large, diced
2 clove(s), crushed
1000 g, cut into 1cm pieces
Chicken stock cube(s)
1 cube(s), 500ml stock
Wholewheat Pasta, dry
Bacon medallions, raw
8 rasher(s), trimmed and diced
- Mist a large pan with cooking spray and cook the onion over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the butternut squash, chicken stock and sage. Stir to combine, then season and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes, until the butternut squash is tender.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to the boil and cook the pasta for 10 minutes, until al dente. Drain. Mist a nonstick frying pan with cooking spray and cook the bacon over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes until crisp.
- Using a blender, or hand-held stick blender, process the butternut squash mixture to a smooth sauce.
- In a large bowl, toss the cooked spaghetti with the sauce, then stir through the bacon pieces. Season to taste and serve.