Black rice salad with smoked tofu
A deliciously different salad that is full of ingredients you might not have tried before. Give it a go, you might just find some new favourites.
Wholegrain Black Venus Rice, dry
Calorie controlled cooking spray
500 g, cut into small cubes
1 teaspoon(s), chopped
200 g, cavolo nero, stems removed and leaves thinly sliced
225 g, diced
½ medium, seeds
Red Wine Vinegar
1½ teaspoon(s), level
1 medium, finely diced
- Cook the rice to pack instructions, then transfer to a large bowl and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 220°C, fan 200°C, gas mark 7 and line a large baking tray with kitchen foil. Mist the foil with cooking spray then add the squash and scatter over the thyme. Season well, then mist the squash with cooking spray and roast for 25 minutes, turning once, until tender and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, mist a large nonstick frying pan with cooking spray and cook the cavolo nero, stirring constantly, for 5-8 minutes or until just starting to soften. You’ll need to do this in batches.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the oil, vinegar and agave syrup in a small bowl, then season to taste and stir in the shallot.
- In a large bowl, toss together the roasted squash, cavolo nero and rice, drizzle over the dressing and toss again to coat. Gently stir in the smoked tofu, then transfer to a serving platter. Scatter over the pomegranate seeds and serve.
Make this recipe year round by using a bag of shredded curly kale instead of the cavolo nero.