Baked curried beef & rice
1 medium, finely chopped
Extra lean beef mince (5% fat), raw
2 clove(s), crushed
2 tablespoons, level
1 can(s), large, chopped
Beef stock cube(s)
Peas, fresh or frozen
80 g, frozen
Brown basmati rice, dry
Calorie controlled cooking spray
Egg, whole, raw
2 medium, raw
25 g, finely grated
40 g, to serve
12 individual, halved, to serve
12 slice(s), to serve
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan set over a high heat and cook the onion, stirring, for 5 minutes until softened. Add the mince and cook for 5-7 minutes until browned, then add the garlic and spices and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Stir in the tomato purée and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and 375ml water to the pan, crumble over the stock cube and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until the sauce is slightly thickened. Stir through the peas.
- Meanwhile, put the rice in a medium pan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until the rice is just tender, but still retains some bite. Drain well.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas mark 4. Mist a 1.5-litre baking dish with cooking spray.
- Stir the rice into the beef mixture, then season well. Add the lightly beaten eggs and stir to combine, then transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Cover with kitchen foil and bake for 25 minutes, then remove the foil and scatter over the cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes until the top of the bake is crisp and golden
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes, then serve with the rocket salad on the side.