Baked arancini & tomato dip
1 hr 10 min
These Italian-inspired risotto balls are irresistibly crisp and gooey
Calorie controlled cooking spray
1 large, finely chopped
3 clove(s), 2 finely chopped, 1 crushed
Arborio rice, dry
Vegetable stock cube(s)
1 cube(s), 800ml stock
Vegetarian Parmesan Style Hard Cheese
1 tablespoon(s), grated
125 g, torn into small pieces
Egg, whole, raw
1 medium, raw, lightly beaten
Blue Dragon Panko Breadcrumbs
- Mist a medium saucepan with cooking spray. Cook the onion over a medium heat for 5-7 minutes, until just starting to soften. Stir in the finely chopped garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add the rice and cook for 1 minute more.
- Start adding the stock, a ladleful at a time, stirring until absorbed before adding the next ladleful. Cook the rice like this for 16-18 minutes, until soft but with a little bite. Discard any leftover stock.
- Take the pan off the heat, stir in the hard cheese and mozzarella and leave to cool completely. Form the risotto into 18 small balls (around 25g each). Dip each ball into the beaten egg, then toss in the breadcrumbs. Transfer to a plate and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas mark 6. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place the arancini on the tray and mist with cooking spray. Bake for 30 minutes, turning once, until golden.
- Meanwhile, make the tomato dip. Put the passata, garlic and basil into a small pan and simmer over a low heat for 5 minutes. Season lightly and leave to cool. Serve with the warm arancini.