Healthy pasta recipes
Enjoy pasta as part of a healthy diet
Pasta is a popular food item that has been a staple in many cultures for generations. It is versatile, affordable, and easy to prepare. While it is true that pasta is high in carbohydrates and low in protein, you don't have to cut pasta out of your diet to lose weight and be healthy. You can create healthy pasta recipes, with our WeightWatchers® nutritionist-approved healthy pasta meals below.
Here are some tips for enjoying pasta while maintaining a healthy lifestyle:
- Choose whole grain pasta: Wholemeal pasta contains the bran and germ of the grain and is higher in fibre than regular pasta made of durum wheat semolina. Spelt, high-fibre and pulse pasta varieties are other healthy options to try.
- Watch your portion sizes: It's easy to overeat when it comes to pasta, so be mindful of your portion sizes. Aim for about ½ to 1 cup of cooked pasta per serving.
- Add protein and vegetables: To make your pasta dish more nutritious and satisfying, add some protein and vegetables. You can add grilled chicken breast, prawns, or tofu for protein, and broccoli, spinach, or tomatoes for some extra nutrients (these are all ZeroPoint foods!).
- Skip the heavy sauces: Creamy and cheesy sauces are high in Points and can add a lot of calories and fat to your pasta dish. Instead, opt for lighter sauces like tomato-based or olive oil-based sauces.
- Add healthy fats: Incorporating healthy fats like olive oil, avocado, or nuts into your pasta dish can provide essential nutrients and help you feel fuller for longer.
You don't have to cut pasta out of your diet to lose weight and be healthy. With some simple modifications, you can enjoy pasta as part of a balanced and nutritious diet.