Rhubarb and custard muffins
120 g, stalks
1 cup(s), (150g)
Monk fruit sweetener
⅓ cup(s), (75g)
½ cup(s), (125ml)
1 medium, lightly beaten
Reduced fat oil spread
50 g, melted
Vanilla bean extract, alcohol free
1 tsp, finely grated
⅓ cup(s), vanilla (85g)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 8 holes in a 12-hole ⅓ cup
- (80ml) capacity muffin tray with paper cases. Cut
- 120g rhubarb stalks into 1cm pieces and set aside.
- Combine 1 cup (150g) plain flour, ⅓ cup (75g) monk
- fruit sweetener, 1½ teaspoons baking powder and a
- pinch of salt in a large bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Add ½ cup (125ml) skim milk, 1 lightly beaten egg,
- 50g melted reduced-fat oil spread, 1 teaspoon vanilla
- extract and 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind. Stir
- until just combined (don’t overmix). Fold in two-thirds of
- the reserved chopped rhubarb. Spoon half the muffin
- mixture evenly among paper cases. Measure out ⅓ cup
- (85g) low-fat vanilla custard. Spoon 1 teaspoon custard
- over the muffin mixture in each muffin hole. Spoon over
- the remaining muffin mixture and sprinkle with remaining
- chopped rhubarb. Top evenly with remaining custard.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden and just firm when
- lightly touched in the centre.