4 medium, (at room temperature)
Cream of tartar
1 cup(s), (220g)
¼ cup(s), (20g), sifted
½ cup(s), (125g)
Light cream cheese
115 g, (at room temperature)
Vanilla bean extract, alcohol free
1 tbs, extra
200 g, halved
30 g, shaved
- Preheat oven to 120°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Beat egg whites, cream of tartar and ⅛ teaspoon salt in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted. Beat in 1 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition until sugar is dissolved and stiff glossy peaks form.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold sifted cocoa through meringue in 3 batches until just incorporated (be careful not to deflate meringue by over-mixing). Spoon onto prepared baking tray and gently spread to form a 23cm round with a 2.5cm high edge.
- Bake 1½ hours. Turn oven off and cool pavlova in oven for 2 hours. Remove from oven and slide pavlova with baking paper onto a wire rack. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, beat mascarpone, cream cheese, milk, vanilla and extra sugar in a small bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- To serve, transfer pavlova to serving plate. Gently spread mascarpone mixture over centre, top with strawberries and sprinkle with chocolate shavings. Use a large serrated knife to cut pavlova into 12 slices.