How to eat healthy when travelling
There’s nothing quite like holidays! Whether you’re about to set off on a road trip, an exotic international holiday or something in between, a little planning can go a long way. You can stay on track and return revitalised having lost or maintained your weight. Here are some tips to help you plan ahead!
1. Book a room with a kitchenette and fridge
Fill it with healthy breakfasts and snacks instead of relying on room service and takeaway. Hit the local market for fresh produce and grocery items and store them in the fridge for healthy options.
2. Pack healthy snacks
Keep them within reach so you don’t have to pull over for fast food when hunger strikes. If you must make a stop, you can usually buy fresh fruit, low-fat yoghurt or nuts. Think snacks that’ll keep you satisfied without using too many Points.
3. Driving through dinner?
Review your route for healthy restaurants and pit-stops along the way. Rely on healthier options such as a grilled chicken sandwich or salads.
4. Decide what meals are worth a splurge
Do you really want to splurge at the breakfast buffet every day? If you stick to the healthy, filling breakfast you have at home, that’s one daily meal you have complete control over. And, of course, you can save those Points for something better.
5. Google restaurant menus and book reservations
Nearly every cuisine offers healthy options, so you’re sure to find a crowd-pleaser that also has some good choices for you.
6. Stick to your regular meal strategy
If you normally have a big breakfast, small lunch and big dinner, try to stick to that. Supplement (or replace) the food provided with what you need to make that happen, with tricks like bringing your own bananas to add to breakfast (or eat before the group meals).
7. Don’t leave home without:
- Water bottle. Stay hydrated! (If you’re flying, bring an empty bottle to refill after you clear security.)
- Snacks for travelling. Think fruit, nuts or vegetables + protein.
- Comfortable shoes. Better yet, wear them — that way you definitely won’t forget ’em.