- 2 spray(s) butter flavour cooking spray
- 2 cup(s) whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 3 item(s) egg white(s)
- 1 large egg(s)
- 1 cup(s) sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup(s) canola oil
- 2/3 cup(s) unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cup(s) uncooked zucchini, peeled, grated, and drained*
- 1/2 cup(s) chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup(s) raisins, finely chopped
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat two 8- X 4-inch loaf pans with cooking spray; set aside.
In a large bowl, sift together whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon; set aside.
Using an electric mixer, in a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until frothy. Add egg, sugar, vanilla extract, oil and applesauce, and beat until thoroughly combined; beat in zucchini.
Add sifted ingredients to egg mixture and mix well; fold in nuts and raisins. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake in middle of oven until a toothpick inserted in center of bread comes out clean, about 50 to 60 minutes. Slice each bread into 10 pieces and serve warm or at room temperature. Yields 1 slice per serving.
- * You’ll need about 1 1/2 medium zucchinis (about 3/4 lb) to yield 2 cups shredded zucchini. This zucchini bread is delicious as is or toasted and spread with reduced-fat cream cheese (could affect SmartPoints value). For a different twist, swap the raisins for dried cranberries and the walnuts for pecans. This bread freezes well. Wrap tightly in aluminum foil and then place in a sealable freezer bag.