- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 40 oz uncooked lean beef round, well trimmed (use boneless bottom round rump roast)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 2 large uncooked onion(s), sliced
- 1 3/4 cup(s) water
- 1 packet(s) onion soup mix
- 1 1/2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar, or red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 8 medium uncooked red potato(es), scrubbed and quartered (about 1 3/4 pounds)
- 1 pound(s) uncooked baby carrots
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, fresh, chopped (for garnish)
Place oven rack in lowest possible position; preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a Dutch oven (a large pot with a tight-fitting lid) with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat.
Sprinkle roast with pepper and salt; place in pot and scatter onions around roast. Cook, turning roast and stirring onions occasionally, until roast and onions are browned, about 8 minutes. Pour water into pot; stir in soup mix, vinegar and thyme, and bring to a boil.
Cover pot and bake in oven for 1 1/2 hours. Place potatoes and carrots around roast; cover and bake until roast and vegetables are tender, about 2 hours more. Remove one potato from pot and puree it in a blender; stir pureed potato into gravy to thicken it.
Transfer roast to a cutting board and slice against grain into 16 slices. Garnish with parsley and serve with vegetables and gravy. Yields about 2 slices of meat, 1 cup of vegetables and 1/4 cup of gravy per serving.