Winter Vegetable Pasta
- 1 medium uncooked parsnip(s), cut into matchsticks
- 1 1/4 cup(s) uncooked butternut squash, cut into matchsticks
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup(s) frozen corn kernels, thawed or 1 cup fresh
- 3/4 medium uncooked leek(s), cleaned and sliced
- 3/4 cup(s) canned chicken broth
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 pound(s) uncooked capellini
- 1 1/2 cup(s) uncooked sugar snap peas
- 2 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Put a baking sheet into the oven and preheat to 400ºF. Combine the parsnip and squash in a bowl and toss with 1 1/2 teaspoon of the oil. In a second bowl, toss the corn in the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of oil. Put the parsnip and squash mixture on the baking sheet and roast 5 minutes. Add the corn and roast for another 5 minutes. Stir and roast until all the vegetables are lightly browned, about 5 minutes longer. Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl.
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet over high heat, then spray with cooking spray. Add the leek and sauté until lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in broth, cumin and coriander. Cook 3 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the capellini and cook 2 minutes, then add the sugar snap peas and cook 30 seconds longer. Drain and add pasta and sugar snap peas to the vegetables in the bowl. Add the leek sauce and toss to coat. Sprinkle with the Parmesan.
Use dried angel hair pasta, or capellini, for this recipe: fresh angel hair would cook too fast.