Wild Rice, Barley, Corn and Mushroom Soup
- 1 cup(s) water
- 1/4 cup(s) uncooked pearl barley
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked carrot(s), grated
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 3 cup(s) fresh mushroom(s), sliced
- 5 1/2 cup(s) vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup(s) instant long grain and wild rice mix
- 1 cup(s) frozen corn kernels
- 1/8 oz raw sage, chopped (use 1 tablespoon)
- In a small saucepan, combine water and barley. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered, for time specified on barley package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat oil; add carrots and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in mushrooms and cook just until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes more.
- Add cooked barley, broth, rice, corn and sage to vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until rice is cooked and mixture is thoroughly heated, about 10 minutes. Yields about 1 cup per serving.