Whole Wheat Spaghetti Carbonara
- 8 oz uncooked whole wheat pasta, spaghetti
- 3 slice(s) uncooked reduced fat bacon, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), peeled and smashed
- 1 large egg(s), beaten
- 1 large egg white(s), beaten
- 6 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese, or use half Parmigiano Reggiano and half Romano
- 1/2 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick skillet over a medium-low heat. Add bacon and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until bacon is crisp, about 4 to 6 minutes. Remove garlic; leave bacon and bacon fat in skillet.
- Add spaghetti to skillet; toss well and remove from heat. Add eggs and both types of cheese; toss well to coat. Season to taste; serve immediately. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
We suggest using two different types of cheese for optimal flavor but you can just use one kind if you prefer. Save a few teaspoons of cheese to sprinkle on before serving, if desired.