Whole Turkey Breast with Zesty Cranberry Relish
- Total Time
A quarter teaspoon of crushed red pepper may not seem like a lot but it does add quite a zing to the relish.
olive oil1 Tbsp, extra-virgin
garlic clove(s)4 clove(s), medium, minced
fresh oregano1 Tbsp, chopped
table salt1 tsp
black pepper½ tsp, freshly ground
uncooked boneless skinless turkey breast7 pound(s), or with ribs
sugar1 ¼ cup(s)
unsweetened orange juice1 Tbsp
uncooked vidalia onion(s)½ cup(s), sliced, chopped
crushed red pepper flakes¼ tsp
fresh cranberries16 oz, fresh or frozen
lime zest2 tsp, grated
- Spray the grill rack with nonstick spray; prepare the grill for indirect cooking and maintain a medium fire.
- Combine the oil, garlic, oregano, salt, and ground pepper in a small bowl; mix well. Loosen the skin around the turkey breast by running your fingers between the skin and the meat, starting at the tips of the breast halves. Once the skin is loosened, divide the spice mixture between the two halves and spread it liberally onto the meat, patting the skin back into place.
- Place the turkey breast, breast-side up, on the indirect heat section of the grill rack (away from the heat source), cover the grill, and grill until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the breast registers 170°F, 2 1⁄2 – 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, combine the sugar, orange juice, water, onion, and crushed red pepper in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Add the cranberries and return to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens slightly and the cranberries pop, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the lime zest. Let the mixture cool about 30 minutes, then chill until ready to serve.
- Transfer the turkey breast to a carving board and let stand about 10 minutes before carving. Remove the skin before eating. Serve with the relish. Yields 2 slices turkey with 1⁄3 cup relish per serving.