Whole Grain and Fruit Oatmeal Cookies
- Total Time
Using the same proportions, substitute your favorite toasted and chopped nuts for the sunflower seeds and/or a favorite dried fruit for the raisins and apricots.
uncooked rolled oats1 ½ cup(s), (old-fashioned)
whole wheat flour½ cup(s)
toasted wheat germ½ cup(s)
low-fat ready-to-eat granola cereal½ cup(s)
golden seedless raisins¼ cup(s)
semisweet chocolate2 oz, (1/4 cup)
sunflower seeds2 Tbsp, unsalted
dried apricot halves⅛ cup(s), finely chopped (2 tablespoons)
baking powder1 tsp
table salt½ tsp
unsalted butter1 stick(s), softened
packed brown sugar½ cup(s)
vanilla extract1 tsp
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray 2 large baking sheets with nonstick spray.
- Toss together the oats, whole-wheat flour, wheat germ, granola, raisins, chocolate chips, sunflower seeds, apricots, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the water, egg, and vanilla just until smooth. With a rubber spatula, stir in the flour mixture until combined.
- Drop the dough by level measuring tablespoons, about 1 inch apart, onto the prepared baking sheets and flatten until 1 1⁄2 inches in diameter. Bake until the cookies are golden brown and the edges are deep brown, 10 – 12 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool slightly on the baking sheet on a wire rack. With a metal spatula, transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with the remaining dough. Yields 1 cookie per serving.