Wheat berries stand in for pasta in this vegetarian version of classic comfort food. They add great texture to the soup, not to mention fiber, vitamins and minerals.
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes, reduced-sodium, with their juice
- 3 cup(s) fat free reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cup(s) uncooked string beans, halved if large
- 15 1/2 oz canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large green pepper(s), diced
- 1 small uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 3/4 cup(s) uncooked celery, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cup(s) uncooked wheat berries
- 1 1/2 tsp dried rosemary, crumbed
- 1 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp fennel seed
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
Mix all the ingredients in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Yields about 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons per serving.
- If you don’t want to use such a big concert of dried spices, omit them all except the salt and add 1 1/2 tablespoons salt-free Italian spice blend instead.