2 pound(s), rind removed, seeded, and chopped
Fresh lime juice
Fat free ice cream sweetened with sugar
4 cup(s), pistachio flavored, slightly softened
Fat-free vanilla ice cream
4 cup(s), slightly softened
4 oz, chips
- To make the sugar syrup, combine the water and sugar in a small saucepan and set over high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Reduce the heat and simmer 5 minutes. Transfer the syrup to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the watermelon sorbet, puree the watermelon, in batches, in a food processor, transferring each batch to a medium bowl. Pour the puree through a sieve set over a medium bowl, pressing hard on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible; discard the solids. Stir in the sugar syrup and lime juice. Transfer the watermelon mixture to an ice-cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer the sorbet to a bowl; cover and place in the freezer. Line a 3-quart bowl with 3 overlapping pieces of plastic wrap, keeping the wrap as wrinkle-free as possible and allowing the excess to extend over the rim by 4 inches. Freeze the bowl until very cold.
- With a rubber spatula, spread the pistachio ice cream inside the bowl, making a 1⁄2-inch-thick wall. Freeze until completely frozen, about 30 minutes. Spread the vanilla ice cream in an even layer over the pistachio ice cream, making a layer about 1⁄4 inch thick. Freeze until completely frozen, about 30 minutes.
- Stir the chocolate chips into the watermelon sorbet and pack into the center of the mold. Cover tightly with the plastic wrap; wrap in heavy-duty foil. Freeze until completely frozen, at least 4 hours or up to 1 week.
- Remove the foil. Fold back the plastic wrap and invert the bombe onto a serving plate. Lift off the bowl and remove the plastic wrap. With a serrated knife, cut the bombe into wedges and place on chilled plates. Serve at once. The bombe can also be unmolded and returned to the freezer until ready to serve or up to 4 hours. Yields 1⁄12 of bombe per serving.