Vegan lemon-poppy seed pound cake
SmartPoints® value per serving
Yes, it is entirely possible to make a vegan pound cake. This recipe will yield you an impressive-looking, delicious cake that's both lovely and lemony. It hits just the right balance of sweet and tart. It features maple syrup, poppy seeds, lemon juice and lemon zest, as well as soy milk. Just be careful not to overmix the batter after adding the milk, as this cake is very delicate and overmixing could result in a tough consistency. Also, you may need to let it rest after it comes out of the oven; since there are no eggs for structure, the cake may need a minute or two to firm up in the pan.
Fresh lemon juice
Regular plain soy milk
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 9- X 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together sugar and oil. Add maple syrup, poppy seeds, lemon juice and zest; beat again.
- Add about 1/3 of flour mixture to sugar mixture and then stir in 1/3 cup soy milk; beat until just combined. Add another 1/3 of flour mixture and 1/3 cup soy milk; beat until just combined. Repeat with remaining flour mixture and soy milk, being careful not to over beat batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until top of cake springs back to the touch and a tester inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes. Slice into 12 pieces and serve. Yields 1 piece per serving.