Vegan, gluten-free soft pretzels
¼ oz, rapid rise variety
1½ cup(s), warm
Gluten-free baking flour
3¾ cup(s), measure for measure variety
2 tsp, other course salt or everything bagel seasoning
1 cup(s), optional
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line two large baking pans with parchment paper. Coat parchment with nonstick spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together yeast, 1 1/2 cups water, table salt, and sugar until combined. Place the dough hook or paddle on the mixer and slowly add baking mix until completely combined, scraping down the sides as needed. (Note: You can also make this recipe by hand using a wooden spoon to combine the flour and yeast mixture in a large bowl.)
- Place 12 cups water and baking soda in a large shallow pot and bring to a boil. (Note: The water should be deep enough to completely cover the pretzels.)
- Place a piece of parchment on the counter, remove dough from bowl to parchment, form dough into a large ball, and press into a circle. Use a knife to divide the dough into 4 pieces, then divide each piece into 3 pieces (or 12 even-sized wedges). Coat with cooking spray to keep the dough from drying out while you shape the pretzels
- Roll each dough wedge out into a smooth 10-inch rope. Carefully form each rope into a pretzel shape.
- Working in batches of 2 to 3 pretzels at a time, use a large slotted spatula to move pretzels into boiling water mixture. Cook for 30 seconds, then remove parboiled pretzels to prepared baking pans. Repeat with all 12 pretzels.
- Top each pretzel with 1/4 tsp salt or seasoning. Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned on top and cooked through. Serve warm with mustard for dipping (optional).
- Serving size: 1 pretzel and 1 1/2 tbsp mustard