Turkey meatball and escarole soup
whole wheat bread
2 slice(s), crust removed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
uncooked 99% fat-free ground turkey breast
grated Parmesan cheese
1 large, lightly beaten
1 large, minced
3 Tbsp, flat leaf, chopped, divided
extra virgin olive oil
reduced sodium canned chicken broth
8 cup(s), or 2 (32-ounce) cartons
4 cup(s), Swiss chard or kale, thinly sliced leaves, lightly packed
canned cannellini beans
15½ oz, rinsed and drained
- Mix together bread and milk in large bowl; let stand until softened, about 5 minutes. Add turkey, Parmesan, egg, shallot, 2 tbsp parsley, salt, and pepper, stirring until mixed well but not overmixed.
- With damp hands, shape turkey mixture into 24 meatballs, using about 2 tbsp for each meatball; transfer meatballs to sheet of foil as they are shaped. Wash bowl.
- Heat oil in large heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add meatballs, in two batches, and cook until well browned, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer meatballs to cleaned bowl as they are browned.
- Combine broth, escarole, and beans in 5- or 6-quart slow cooker; add meatballs. Cover and cook until meatballs are cooked through, about 4 hours on Low. Serve soup sprinkled with remaining 1 tbsp parsley.
- Serving size: 1 1/3 cups soup and 3 meatballs