Thai curried tofu and bowties
15 oz, firm
1 Tbsp, fresh, peeled and minced
2 medium clove(s), minced
Thai curry paste
1½ tsp, (red)
1 medium, chopped
Canned diced tomatoes
Light unsweetened coconut milk
Frozen mixed vegetables
12 oz, broccoli, cauliflower and carrot variety
1 Tbsp, fresh, chopped
3 cup(s), hot. bowtie variety
- Wrap the tofu in paper towels and place on a plate. Place a heavy saucepan on top and let it stand for 20 minutes to press out the excess liquid. Cut the tofu into 1⁄4-inch cubes.
- Heat 1 1⁄2 teaspoons of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu and cook, turning occasionally, until golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer the tofu to a plate.
- Heat the remaining 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ginger, garlic, and curry paste. Cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add the onion, reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, and sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 5–6 minutes. Add the bag of broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots and the tofu. Cook, covered, until the vegetables are tender, 18–20 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, then stir in the cilantro and salt. Serve with the bowties. Yields 1 1⁄4 cups sauce and 3⁄4 cup pasta per serving.