Super Meatball Subs
- 1 pound(s) uncooked ground turkey breast
- 1/2 cup(s) seasoned breadcrumbs, Italian-flavor
- 1/4 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese, such as Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 large egg(s)
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 24 oz canned tomato sauce
- 20 oz Italian bread, about two 10-inch loaves
- 1/2 cup(s) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place oven racks in top 1/3 of oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or foil that’s been coated with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine turkey, bread crumbs, cheese, egg, Italian seasoning and salt. Using a tablespoon to scoop out turkey mixture, gently shape a tablespoon of mixture into a small meatball and place on a prepared baking sheet; repeat with remaining ingredients to make 32 meatballs. Bake, shaking pans every 5 minutes to promote even browning, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- While meatballs are cooking, slice each loaf of bread into four equal pieces.
- When meatballs are done, remove from baking sheets. Place bread on same baking sheets; top each piece with 4 meatballs. Spoon about 3 tablespoons sauce over meatballs in each sandwich; top each with 1 tablespoon cheese. Bake until cheese is melted and sandwiches are heated through, about 5 to 7 minutes. Yields 1 sandwich per serving.
Scoop out some bread to create better space for the meatballs so they do not fall out of the sandwich when you bite it. Top with fresh basil if desired.