Sunday pot roast
Herbes de Provence
Uncooked trimmed bottom round steak
2½ pound(s), roast
¾ pound(s), about 10, peeled
6 large clove(s), peeled
8 fl oz, dry
16 fl oz
Canned tomato paste
¾ pound(s), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix together herbes de provence, 1 teaspoon of salt, and pepper in cup; rub all over roast.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook until browned on all sides, about 7 minutes. Transfer to plate.
- Add shallots and garlic to Dutch oven; cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add wine and cook until slightly reduced, about 2 minutes. Stir in water, tomato paste, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and bay leaf; bring to boil. Return meat to pot. Cover and transfer to oven; bake 2 hours.
- Remove roast from oven. Stir in carrots. Cover and bake until meat is fork-tender, about 1 hour, turning meat over after 30 minutes. Transfer roast to cutting board; cut into 1/4-inch slices. Return sliced meat to sauce in Dutch oven; keep warm until ready to serve. Discard bay leaf.
- Per serving: 2 slices meat and about 1/3 cup sauce with vegetables