Sunday Pot Roast
- Total Time
herbes de Provence2 tsp
kosher salt1 ½ tsp
black pepper¼ tsp
uncooked trimmed bottom round steak2 ½ pound(s), roast
canola oil1 Tbsp
uncooked shallot(s)¾ pound(s), about 10, peeled
garlic clove(s)6 large clove(s), peeled
red wine8 fl oz, dry
water16 fl oz
canned tomato paste3 Tbsp
bay leaf1 leaf/leaves
uncooked carrot(s)¾ pound(s), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix together herbes de provence, 1 teaspoon of salt, and pepper in cup; rub all over roast.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook until browned on all sides, about 7 minutes. Transfer to plate.
- Add shallots and garlic to Dutch oven; cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add wine and cook until slightly reduced, about 2 minutes. Stir in water, tomato paste, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and bay leaf; bring to boil. Return meat to pot. Cover and transfer to oven; bake 2 hours.
- Remove roast from oven. Stir in carrots. Cover and bake until meat is fork-tender, about 1 hour, turning meat over after 30 minutes. Transfer roast to cutting board; cut into 1/4-inch slices. Return sliced meat to sauce in Dutch oven; keep warm until ready to serve. Discard bay leaf.
- Per serving: 2 slices meat and about 1/3 cup sauce with vegetables