Uncooked acorn squash
8 oz, or white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
3 medium, thinly sliced
2 medium clove(s), minced
½ tsp, rubbed
½ tsp, freshly ground
Long grain cooked brown rice
Grated Parmesan cheese
3 Tbsp, dry white or dry vermouth
- Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 375°F.
- Split the squash in half, stem to bottom, and scoop out the seeds. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and place the squash on it cut side down. Bake until tender, about 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spray a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray and set over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, scallions and garlic, and cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms give off their liquid, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, sage, thyme and pepper. Cook 1 minute.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in the rice, cheese and vermouth or wine.
- Once the squash are fork-tender, turn them cut side up and fill each with a quarter of the rice mixture. Bake until warmed through, about 10 minutes. Yields 1 stuffed squash half per serving.