- Total Time
These savory bundles make an elegant meal, whether for the family or your next dinner party. For the best taste, use freshly grated Parmesan.
uncooked acorn squash2 medium
cooking spray1 spray(s)
cremini mushroom(s)8 oz, or white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
uncooked scallion(s)3 medium, thinly sliced
garlic clove(s)2 clove(s), medium, minced
Worcestershire sauce2 tsp
dried rosemary½ tsp
dried sage½ tsp, rubbed
dried thyme½ tsp
black pepper½ tsp, freshly ground
cooked brown rice1 ½ cup(s)
grated Parmesan cheese¼ cup(s)
table wine3 Tbsp, dry white or dry vermouth
- Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 375°F.
- Split the squash in half, stem to bottom, and scoop out the seeds. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and place the squash on it cut side down. Bake until tender, about 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spray a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray and set over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, scallions and garlic, and cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms give off their liquid, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, sage, thyme and pepper. Cook 1 minute.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in the rice, cheese and vermouth or wine.
- Once the squash are fork-tender, turn them cut side up and fill each with a quarter of the rice mixture. Bake until warmed through, about 10 minutes. Yields 1 stuffed squash half per serving.