Stracotto with lemon gremolata
Uncooked lean trimmed boneless chuck steak
2 pound(s), roast,
Uncooked red onion(s)
3 medium, thinly sliced
2 large clove(s), minced
8 oz, (1 package), white variety, sliced
Canned diced tomatoes
14½ oz, (1 can), petite, diced
8 fl oz, (about 1 cup), dry
½ cup(s), chopped, flat-leaf
1 item(s), grated zest
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper; coat evenly with flour, pressing lightly so it adheres.
- Heat oil in medium Dutch oven over medium heat. Add beef and cook until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes; transfer to plate. Add onions to pot and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add half of garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add mushrooms, tomatoes, and wine to Dutch oven; cook, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pot, about 3 minutes. Increase heat and bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer until mushrooms are softened, about 5 minutes. Return beef and any accumulated juices to pot; reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally and turning beef every 30 minutes, until beef is fork-tender, about 2 hours. Transfer beef to cutting board.
- Bring vegetable mixture to boil over medium-high heat; boil, stirring frequently, until reduced to 4 cups, about 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make gremolata, stir together parsley, lemon zest, and remaining garlic in small bowl. Cut beef on diagonal into 12 slices. Serve sprinkled with gremolata and accompanied by vegetables with sauce.
- Per serving: 2 slices beef, generous 2/3 cup vegetables with sauce, and 1 1/2 tablespoons gremolata