This salad hits the mark. The salty-sweet pairing of nuts and fruit with the mustard dressing is a fabulous combination.
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp mustard, coarse, ground
- 2 tsp pancake syrup, maple-flavored suggested
- 2 tsp uncooked shallot(s), minced
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 6 oz fresh spinach, fresh, baby leaves (about 8 cups)
- 1 large pear(s), red, ripe, cored, thinly sliced into 12 pieces*
- 6 Tbsp chopped almonds, unsalted, dry-roasted**
- 1/4 cup(s) dried cranberries
In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, water, oil, mustard, syrup, shallots, salt and pepper until blended; pour 1/4 cup of dressing into a large bowl. Add spinach and toss until coated.
Arrange 2 cups of dressed spinach on each of 4 salad plates. Top each with 3 pear slices and then sprinkle each with 1 1/2 tablespoons of almonds and 1 tablespoon of dried cranberries. Drizzle each salad with about 1 tablespoon of remaining dressing and serve. Yields 1 salad per serving.
- *Red pears add beautiful color to this salad but feel free to substitute any ripe pear. **If you can’t find roasted almonds, roast your own by spreading almonds on a baking sheet and roasting them in a 350ºF oven for 10 minutes. In summer months, swap ripe peaches or nectarines for the pears.