Spinach-Ricotta Rolled Turkey Breasts
- Total Time
We take an ordinary food and give it extra flair. Poultry-based dinners need never be ho-hum again.
olive oil5 tsp
uncooked shallot(s)¼ cup(s), or onions, minced
fresh spinach10 oz, cleaned
table salt½ tsp
black pepper¼ tsp
part-skim ricotta cheese¼ cup(s)
egg white(s)1 large
lemon zest½ tsp, freshly grated
uncooked boneless skinless turkey breast1 ½ pound(s), four 6-ounce pieces pounded 1/4-inch thin
- In a large nonstick skillet over moderate heat, warm 2 teaspoons of oil. Add shallots and cook until shallots begin to brown, stirring occasionally, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Cook spinach in microwave according to package directions; set aside.
- Mix salt and pepper together in a small bowl, set aside.
- Mix spinach with shallots. Add cheese, egg white, zest and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper mixture; stir to combine.
- Sprinkle turkey cutlets with remaining salt and pepper mixture. Divide spinach mixture among cutlets and spread evenly over top, leaving a 1/3-inch border; roll up and secure with toothpicks.
- Wipe out skillet. Add remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and cook cutlets over moderate heat until browned and almost cooked through, about 17 minutes. Add water and continue to cook until cooked through, about 2 minutes more. Remove to a serving plate, remove toothpicks and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Pour pan sauce over turkey and serve. Yields 1 cutlet per serving.