Spicy Lentil and Sausage Soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 1 medium green pepper(s), seeded and chopped
- 4 oz kielbasa, low-fat, thinly sliced
- 2 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup(s) dry lentils, picked over, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup(s) fat free salsa, or green variety
- 1 medium uncooked potato(es), peeled and cubed
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, cubed
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, fresh, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until very tender, about 8 minutes. Add the kielbasa, garlic, and cumin; cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the broth, lentils, and salsa; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the lentils are almost tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the potato and squash; return to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, until all of the vegetables and lentils are very tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley. Yields 1 1/3 cups per serving.
Green salsa or salsa verde, made with tomatillos, chiles, cilantro, and spices, is available fresh or in jars in most supermarkets.