Spiced peanut butter cookies
chickpeas (15 oz)
½ cup(s), not drained*
reduced sodium peanut butter
¼ cup(s), softened
packed light brown sugar
whole wheat flour
red pepper flakes
¼ tsp, or more to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper (or coat with cooking spray); set aside.
- *Pour chickpeas into a 1-cup measuring cup and pour in enough chickpea liquid just to cover the beans; puree chickpeas and their liquid in a blender or mini food processor.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream peanut butter, butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and egg; mix well again. Add pureed chick peas; blend thoroughly with mixer. Add flour, salt, baking soda and red pepper flakes; mix again.
- Shape rounded tablespoonfuls of cookie dough into small balls. Place dough on prepared cookie sheets, leaving at least 2-inches between cookies.
- When a cookie sheet is filled, press each ball down with palm of your hand to flatten. Then flatten cookies even more by making cross-hatch marks with back of a fork.
- Bake until cookies turn slightly golden, about 12 to 15 minutes depending on desired crispness. Let cool on cookie sheet for 1 to 2 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Yields 1 cookie per serving.