Spiced Chicken Cacciatore
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 2 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 1 medium green pepper(s), diced
- 1 cup(s) fresh mushroom(s), sliced
- 1 pound(s) uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s), cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh parsley, fresh, chopped
- 8 oz uncooked whole-wheat spaghetti
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or stock pot over medium-high heat; add onion, garlic, green pepper and mushrooms. Sauté until vegetables are tender and mushrooms release juice, about 4 minutes. Add chicken and sauté until golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add basil, curry powder, salt and black pepper; stir to coat.
- Add tomatoes and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low, partially cover and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in parsley.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Transfer spaghetti to four shallow bowls and spoon chicken mixture over top. Yields about 1 cup of chicken mixture and 1 cup of spaghetti per serving.