Spanish Roasted-Pepper Bisque
- Total Time
uncooked bell pepper(s)10 item(s), medium, halved
olive oil1 tsp
uncooked onion(s)1 medium, chopped
kosher salt2 tsp
garlic clove(s)1 medium clove(s), minced
ground cumin½ tsp
paprika½ tsp, smoked
fat free reduced sodium vegetable broth2 cup(s)
uncooked sweet potato(es)1 large, peeled and diced
bay leaf1 leaf/leaves
plain lowfat Greek yogurt2 Tbsp
fresh oregano1 Tbsp, small leaves, (optional)
- Preheat broiler. Line large rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Arrange half of peppers in single layer, skin side up, on prepared baking sheet. Broil 5 inches from heat until skins are blistered and blackened, about 10 minutes. Transfer peppers (still on foil) to work surface and wrap in foil. Repeat with remaining peppers. Let peppers steam about 15 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel off blackened skin from peppers. Coarsely chop.
- Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and 1 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, and paprika and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Add broth, sweet potato, roasted peppers, and bay leaf and bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until sweet potato is very tender, about 8 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf. Stir in yogurt, honey, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Let soup stand 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Pour soup, in batches, into blender and puree. Return soup to saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring often, until hot, about 2 minutes. (Add water, a few tablespoons at a time, if needed, to thin soup.) Serve sprinkled with oregano, if desired.
- Per serving (generous 1 cup)