Southwestern chicken soup
Uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast
1 pound(s), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 medium, chopped
Uncooked bell pepper(s)
1 item(s), small, green variety, chopped
1 medium, seeded and minced
2 medium clove(s), minced
Reduced-sodium chicken broth
29 oz, 2 (14 1/2-oz can)
Canned diced tomatoes
14½ oz, 1 can, drained
Frozen corn kernels on cob
1 cup(s), or fresh
Fresh lime juice
½ item(s), medium, Hass variety, pitted, peeled, and cut into 8 slices
¼ cup(s), lightly packed leaves
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and black pepper. Add chicken to pot and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to plate.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to pot. Add onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, and cumin and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Stir in broth, tomatoes, and corn. Cover and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in chicken and cook just until heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice.
- Ladle soup evenly into 4 bowls. Top each with 2 slices avocado and sprinkle evenly with cilantro.
- Serving size: 1¾ cups soup with 2 slices avocado