Southwest Chicken Salad with Creamy Green Chili Dressing
- 1/2 cup(s) fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup(s) cilantro, fresh, chopped
- 2 clove(s), large garlic clove(s), chopped
- 1 1/2 pound(s) uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s)
- 31 oz canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 medium sweet red pepper(s), chopped
- 2 cup(s) fresh cherry tomato(es), cut in half
- 6 medium uncooked scallion(s), sliced
- 2 head(s) romaine lettuce, sliced in 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 oz canned green chili peppers, drained and diced
- 1 cup(s) plain fat free yogurt
- 1 Tbsp cilantro, fresh
- 1 bunch(es) fresh watercress, tough stems removed
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove(s), small garlic clove(s), peeled and left whole
- Combine lime juice, cumin, 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro and chopped garlic in a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, seal bag and shake to coat chicken. Allow to marinate for at least 15 minutes at room temperature or up to overnight in refrigerator.
- Preheat broiler or grill to medium-high heat. Remove chicken from bag and discard marinade. Grill chicken until cooked through, about 4 to 5 minutes per side; set aside until ready to assemble salad.
- In a large bowl, combine beans, red pepper, tomatoes and scallions. Divide lettuce among 8 small serving bowls or plates, and top each with equal amounts of bean mixture.
- To make dressing, combine remaining ingredients in a blender or food processor; blend until smooth, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Slice cooled chicken on the diagonal and divide among salads. Drizzle each serving with about 1/4 cup of dressing. Yields 1 salad per serving.
This recipe can easily be halved but you still may want to make the entire amount of dressing for use at a later time.