Smashed Potatoes with Lemon Salt
- Total Time
You can also make this delicious potato dish with smaller potatoes. Use 8(2-ounce) potatoes, keeping in mind that the cooking time will be reduced to about 12 minutes.
uncooked red potato(es)1 pound(s), 4 (1/4-pound), or yellow potatoes, scrubbed
kosher salt¾ tsp, or coarse sea salt
lemon zest½ tsp, grated
extra virgin olive oil2 tsp
garlic clove(s)1 large clove(s), thinly sliced
fresh parsley1 Tbsp, chopped
- Combine potatoes with enough salted water to cover by 1 inch in medium saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until potatoes are fork-tender, about 25 minutes. Drain and let cool about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine salt and lemon zest in cup, rubbing them together with your fingers to bring out the lemon oil. Set aside.
- Put potatoes on cutting board and gently press down on each potato with palm of hand or pancake spatula to flatten slightly (edges of potatoes will split).
- Combine oil and garlic in large nonstick skillet and set over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until garlic is lightly toasted, about 1 minute. With slotted spoon, lift out garlic and transfer to separate cup.
- Add potatoes to skillet and cook over medium-high heat until browned and crisp on bottom, about 5 minutes. With small spatula, gently turn potatoes over and cook until second side is browned and crisp, about 5 minutes longer. Transfer potatoes to small platter and sprinkle with lemon salt, garlic chips, and parsley.
- Per serving: 1 potato