Slow cooker smoky tomato sauce
13 medium, Globe variety, chopped
1 medium, yellow, chopped
Raw Cubanelle pepper
2 small, stemmed, seeded and chopped
Uncooked fennel bulb(s)
1 item(s), trimmed and chopped
Crushed red pepper flakes
Smoked ham hock(s)
Canned tomato paste
3 Tbsp, reduced sodium
Uncooked whole-wheat spaghetti
12 oz, cooked and drained according to the package
- In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, place tomatoes, onion, pepper(s), fennel, basil, oregano, garlic, red pepper flakes and salt. Stir well, then add pork hock (or shank) and submerge it in the liquid. Cover and cook on high 5 hours.
- Uncover and transfer hock to a cutting board. Cool a few minutes; shred meat off bones. Discard bones, then stir meat and tomato paste into sauce.
- Cook uncovered on high for 1 hour, stirring occasionally and smashing sauce against the sides of the cooker with the back of a wooden spoon, or until thickened.
- Serve in bowls over cooked pasta.
- Serving size: 1 cup sauce and 1 cup cooked pasta.