Shrimp chowder with dill
1 pound(s), peeled and deveined, shells reserved
1 large, chopped
Canned diced tomatoes
14½ oz, fire-roasted variety
4 small, Yukon Golds, peeled and diced
2 rib(s), medium, with leaves, chopped
Reduced-sodium chicken broth
Cooked turkey bacon
3 slice(s), crumbled
2 Tbsp, fresh, chopped
- Put the shrimp shells on a square of cheesecloth. Gather the ends of the cloth and tie them together with a length of kitchen twine. Refrigerate the shrimp and set the shells aside.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the onion and cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes longer.
- Transfer the onion to a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Add the package of shrimp shells, the tomatoes, potatoes, celery, pepper, and broth. Cover and cook until the vegetables are fork-tender, 4 – 5 hours on high or 8 – 10 hours on low.
- About 20 minutes before the cooking time is up, remove and discard the shrimp shell package and stir in the shrimp. Cover and cook on high until the shrimp are just opaque in the center, about 15 minutes. Stir in the half-and-half and cook 5 minutes longer.
- Ladle the chowder evenly into 6 bowls and sprinkle evenly with the turkey bacon and dill. Yields about 2 cups per serving.