- 1/2 tsp saffron, ground
- 1/4 cup(s) hot water
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 pound(s) uncooked shrimp, large, peeled, deveined
- 12 oz chicken chorizo, sliced
- 1 large uncooked onion(s), thinly sliced
- 8 oz Cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 medium uncooked scallion(s), white parts sliced, green ends reserved
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 15 oz canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2 cup(s) uncooked arborio rice, or other short grain rice
- 2 1/2 cup(s) canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup(s) roasted piquillo peppers, sliced
- 1 cup(s) frozen baby peas
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh parsley, chopped
In a small bowl, combine saffron and hot water; stir to dissolve.
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook shrimp until opaque, about 2 to 3 minutes per side; remove to a plate. Add remaining teaspoon oil, chorizo, onion, mushrooms, white parts of scallion and salt to pan; cook, stirring often, until mushrooms begin to brown, about 5 to 6 minutes.
Add garlic to pan; cook, stirring a few times, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, paprika and rice; stir to combine. Add broth and saffron water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and bring to a simmer; cook for 15 minutes.
Stir in peppers, peas and reserved shrimp; continue to cook, uncovered, until rice is tender and begins to dry on bottom of pan, about 5 to 7 minutes. Garnish with parsley and chopped green parts of scallion; serve. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.
- If you can't find bottled roasted piquillo peppers (ubiquitous in Spain), standard roasted red bell peppers would make a fine substitute.