Mexican meets Italian in this lasagna-like casserole. Corn tortillas replace noodles and traditional marinara sauce is swapped out for a cumin and chili-spiked tomato sauce.
- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cup(s), chopped uncooked onion(s), divided
- 1 pound(s) cremini mushroom(s), sliced 1/4-in thick
- 2 medium uncooked zucchini, halved lengthwise, sliced 1/4-in thick
- 1 1/2 tsp table salt, divided
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes, fire-roasted (undrained)
- 1 item(s) canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped (optional)
- 4 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), smashed
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 12 oz cooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s), shredded with two forks
- 18 small corn tortilla(s), 4-in each
- 6 oz WW Cheese, cheddar, shredded, low fat, or jack cheese
- 3/4 cup(s) reduced-fat sour cream
Preheat oven 425°F. Coat a 9- X 13-in baking dish with cooking spray.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. When oil shimmers, add 2 cups onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms, zucchini and 1/2 tsp salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, 15-20 minutes.
While vegetables cook, make sauce. Put tomatoes, chipotle, remaining 1 c onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano and remaining 1 tsp salt into a blender; puree.
Transfer cooked vegetables to a medium mixing bowl; stir in chicken and 1 cup tomato sauce.
Spread 1/2 cup tomato sauce in bottom of baking dish; top with 6 overlapping tortillas. Sprinkle with half chicken mixture and 1/2 cup cheese; top with 6 more tortillas, remaining chicken mixture and 1/2 c cheese. Top with remaining 6 tortillas; spread remaining sauce on top and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until golden and bubbling, 15-20 minutes.
Remove from oven; let sit 5-10 minutes. Serve each piece with 1 Tbsp sour cream.
Serving size: 1/12th of casserole and 1 Tbsp sour cream
- Garnish with cilantro, if desired.