Shredded Chicken-Enchilada Casserole
- Total Time
Mexican meets Italian in this lasagna-like casserole. Corn tortillas replace noodles and traditional marinara sauce is swapped out for a cumin and chili-spiked tomato sauce.
cooking spray2 spray(s)
olive oil1 ½ Tbsp
uncooked onion(s)3 cup(s), chopped, divided
cremini mushroom(s)1 pound(s), sliced 1/4-in thick
uncooked zucchini2 medium, halved lengthwise, sliced 1/4-in thick
table salt1 ½ tsp, divided
canned diced tomatoes28 oz, fire-roasted (undrained)
canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce1 item(s), chopped (optional)
garlic clove(s)4 medium clove(s), smashed
chili powder2 tsp
ground cumin2 tsp
dried oregano1 tsp
cooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s)12 oz, shredded with two forks
corn tortilla(s)18 small, 4-in each
WeightWatchers Reduced Fat Mexican style blend shredded cheese6 oz, or jack cheese
reduced-fat sour cream¾ cup(s)
- Preheat oven 425°F. Coat a 9- X 13-in baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. When oil shimmers, add 2 cups onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms, zucchini and 1/2 tsp salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, 15-20 minutes.
- While vegetables cook, make sauce. Put tomatoes, chipotle, remaining 1 c onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano and remaining 1 tsp salt into a blender; puree.
- Transfer cooked vegetables to a medium mixing bowl; stir in chicken and 1 cup tomato sauce.
- Spread 1/2 cup tomato sauce in bottom of baking dish; top with 6 overlapping tortillas. Sprinkle with half chicken mixture and 1/2 cup cheese; top with 6 more tortillas, remaining chicken mixture and 1/2 c cheese. Top with remaining 6 tortillas; spread remaining sauce on top and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until golden and bubbling, 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven; let sit 5-10 minutes. Serve each piece with 1 Tbsp sour cream.
- Serving size: 1/12th of casserole and 1 Tbsp sour cream